It is the exam season! Time for group studies, revisions, prelims and last minute submissions! Though I have passed this dreaded phase long back, the memories of those days still bring a smile on my face.
I feel saddened to read to about rising cases of students committing suicides due to exam pressure nowadays. Such cases were rare during our time and almost unheard of during our parent’s generation. Hence I dedicate this post to all those who will be facing exams in upcoming months and are stressed out.
Here are some things which I think helped us survive the exam fever:
- Create a support system. It can be your study group/ bunch of friends/ cousins or whoever you are comfortable with.
- Make a time table and stick to it. It may be difficult to stick to it 100% of the time but even if you manage for 80% of the time it will help reduce pressure.
- Play an outdoor game with your group for half an hour daily. I remember going out to play with my friends even when exams were near. It really helped in coping with the mental stress. If you are not an outdoor person or don’t like socializing much, you can pursue a hobby. The goal is to relax and stop thinking about exams for few minutes daily.
- Share your frustrations with your group face to face (and not through emoticons). Trust me you will feel much better when you “hear” and “see” your pal sharing his/her frustrations with you. It will make you realize that you are not alone in this.
- If you feel miserable it is OK to cry. Do not bottle up your emotions.
- ‘Try’ (I know it is almost next to impossible) but at least try to log out off your social media accounts for coming few days. (Because in our days Social Media hadn’t reached us so we were saved from worrying about likes & comments!J) You will be amazed at how much extra time you will get! Utilize the extra time on your health! Amidst studies we take our health for granted. Get enough sleep and have healthy food.
- Once in a while it is ok to indulge in your favourite comfort food to cope with stress but, don’t go overboard!
The bottom line is: Exams are just a small phase in your life. Even if you fail, it is not a big deal! It is not the end of the world! Work harder the next time. And while you are at it, don’t forget to enjoy this phase. Because after some years when you look back, you may not remember everything you studied but you will definitely remember the crazy things that you did with your friends!